Bachelor of Science in Information Science @ College Park
Already enrolled at the University of Maryland, College Park and want to change your major to InfoSci?
Bachelor of Science in Information Science @ Shady Grove
Admission into the InfoSci @ Shady Grove program is during the fall semesters only - and only for students transferring in after completing GenEds or an Associate Degree.
All students planning to apply to the InfoSci Program at Shady Grove should plan on consulting the InfoSci advisors or visiting the information table when an InfoSci representative is on your campus for a transfer visit. You may also contact the iSchool’s Undergraduate Programs Office at Shady Grove by calling 301-738-6243 or by emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your questions answered.
Admissions to the undergraduate InfoSci program at Shady Grove is through the University of Maryland’s Undergraduate Admissions, with the additional requirements listed below.
Best Consideration Deadline: March 1, 2019
Final Deadline: June 1, 2019
Decision Release: Rolling Basis
Enrollment Confirmation: August 12, 2019
Note: College Park Scholarships Deadline: March 1, 2019
To be considered for admission to the InfoSci program at Shady Grove, applicants must complete the following admission requirements:
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA (preferred)
- Have completed all University of Maryland, College Park General Education requirements, with the exception of Fundamental Studies Professional Writing
- General Education requirements could be fulfilled either by:
- Completing a two-year Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree in information science or related field (recommended), OR
- Completing 60 college credits that meet all General Education requirements.
- Successful completion (“C-” or better) of the following information science benchmark courses or their equivalents:
- MATH 115 - Precalculus (or higher)
- PSYC 100 - Intro to Psychology
- STAT 100 - Elementary Statistics
- INST 126 - Intro to Programming
Applications are considered complete when the online application and all required application materials have been submitted. All materials must be received by the appropriate deadline for consideration. Please note that it may take up to five days after submission for you to be able to view the status of your application and any submitted documents online. It is the applicant’s responsibility to confirm receipt of all application materials.
- Completed online application
- Non-refundable application fee of $75
- Official copy of your college transcripts
- You should request your college to submit an official copy of your transcript listing all courses you have completed. A final official transcript must be sent to us upon your completion of any courses in-progress using the address below.
- College transcripts can also be submitted electronically through The Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success or via Naviance, Parchment or eSCRIP-SAFE.
- Letters of recommendation (optional)
- If you choose to submit a letter of recommendation with your application (not required), all letters must be sent directly to us by your recommenders.
- Recommendations can also be submitted by your recommenders electronically via The Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success or through Naviance.
- If you designate who will be completing your recommendations on the online application, your recommender will receive an email with instructions on how to submit your recommendation electronically through the application portal.
- Describe your past academic experiences and your reasons for wishing to enroll to Maryland at this point in your academic career. Students who have been out of school for several years, or who have a personal circumstance that affected performance, may wish to address that situation in their essay.
- Student’s co-curricular activities, leadership and volunteer experiences, honors and awards will also be considered in the admission decision. Students are strongly encouraged to submit their most recent resume along with the application for admission, highlighting their accomplishments and experience.
- Transfer Essay (~300 words)
- Resume (optional)
- International Applicants may have additional admission requirements
If you are mailing any of the above application materials, please send them to:
University of Maryland
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Attention: Shady Grove Admissions
Mitchell Building, 7999 Regents Drive
College Park, MD 20742 USA
Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis once a completed application is received. Once an admission decision has been determined, applicants will be notified in writing. Admission offers may specify full admission or provisional admission as pertains to each individual applicant. All students offered provisional admission may later be offered full admission contingent upon their forwarding additional information or by fulfilling additional requirements as requested.
Undergraduate Student Services @ Shady Grove
University of Maryland | College of Information Studies
9630 Gudelsky Drive | Rockville, Maryland 20850
301-738-6243 | usgInfoSci@umd.edu