Master of Information Management (MIM)
Information management encompasses policies, processes, and applications for managing data, transforming data into information, and synthesizing information into actionable knowledge to drive competitive advantage. The University of Maryland College of Information Studies (iSchool) Master of Information Management (MIM) degree prepares you to be a strategic leader in the use of information and technology in any organization. The MIM degree fuses training in computer science, information science, and advanced analytics. It provides you with skills and knowledge to develop and deploy emerging technologies, lead efforts to develop and modernize organizational information management capabilities, and manage high-value information resources to successfully meet users’ information needs. Our graduates become data scientists, business and data analysts, information architects, and much more.
A MIM degree prepares professionals to:
- Confidently bridge people, process, and technology
- Address the growing need for skilled professionals who can effectively manage organizational information assets to address critical business needs
- Provide industry leadership through the study of ethical, political, social, and technical issues related to information management in modern society
- Guide the governance, assurance, and protection of sensitive information assets
- Train the future generation of informed data scientists in methods of advanced analytics
- Assist organizations in the formation of information policies, in the development and application of information systems and services, and in the use of information management technologies and methods
The skills I’m learning in the iSchool are preparing me to be a leader in the information industry. I’m learning how to use data analytics and business analytics to help clients reach decisions that are beneficial. – Alexandria Porter, MIM 2018
What makes the MIM program unique?
The MIM program offers:
- A cross-disciplinary approach that combines theory and problem-based learning
- An innovative curriculum that allows students to gain both technical and managerial knowledge that can be applied immediately on the job
- A diverse group of students who bring varied experiences and perspectives to the classroom and strong connections that can last throughout an entire career
- A highly respected and involved faculty at top-ranked University of Maryland
- Powerhouse industry partners such as Amazon Web Services, Google, Pepsi, Tableau, and many more - providing students with capstone projects, field study opportunities, internships, and student-led event sponsorships
- Proximity to Washington, D.C., the nation's capital city, which was ranked one of the best places to live in America by U.S. News & World Report in 2017
The MIM degree sets our graduates up for successful careers as data scientists, business analysts, data analysts, information analysts, business intelligence managers, data visualization specialists, information architects, systems analysts, UI/UX designers, and usability analysts – and many other information leadership career paths.
- 99% of MIM alumni are employed within one year of graduating
- Data Scientist is named the best job in America three years running - 2016, 2017, 2018 - based on salary, availability, and job satisfaction (Glassdoor)
- Data Analyst, Systems Analyst, Business Analyst, UX Designer, UI Developer, Database Administrator, and Data Engineer are all on the 50 Best Jobs in America 2018 list (Glassdoor)
Visit our Admissions page to learn more about admissions requirements and the application process.
Interested in more information?